OMG Pear Cake
1 cup brown sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup almond meal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
4 cups fresh pears diced into 1/2" pieces
1/4 cup goat milk (can substitute cow milk, but the hint of tanginess is a nice touch)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon hearty honey
1. In a large bowl, mix each ingredient in the order written, incorporating each ingredient before adding the next.
2. Bake in greased 9x13 pan at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 40-45 minutes
3. In a saucepan, mix the ingredients for the glaze and boil until caramelized (about 3 -5 minutes).
4. Pour glaze on top of cake and bake for another 4 minutes.
5. Eat until you enter nirvana or a diabetic coma.
6. Recuperate and repeat. Then, look at the pan and wonder how you are ever going to eat the entire sugar bomb, and begrudgingly share a few pieces with your closest friends--because no one else is worthy of it. Watch them closely as they eat it, ready to finish the rest of their piece in case they appear to not enjoy it as much as they should.
The combination of all the different flours, the applesauce, and the honey give this cake a very complex flavor profile. It really is worth getting almond meal for it and trying out a honey with a deep, rich flavor. I'm a big fan of the Breitsamer honey, and you should give it a try.
I've already made this cake for an event, and everyone loved it, but I am interested to read how you like it. Let me know!